Thursday, July 12, 2012

My First Vogue...V 1217

Review: V1217


At one of the recent sales that Vogue had online, I bought two patterns. I have been wanting to sew a Vogue for quite a while but I did not have the courage (to me Vogue are the master of all pattern companies, if you know what I mean) Both of the patterns I chose were labelled "easy". I thought since its my first experience I might as well be easy on myself  LOL. 

I must say though, that I really enjoyed sewing this dress...it was easy to sew (minimum alterations) and it turned out fabulous.



The fabric is a very nice brown on cream polka dot chiffon. I got this fabric on the sale table at an extremely low price :). Sale again!!! I'm always looking for a bargain. 




I lengthened the dress by about 5" just because the model's version is a bit too short for me. I always like that just above the knee look. ;)

After I attached the bow, I did not like how it sagged, so I tacked the end of it onto the neckline with a small stitch and that did the trick.


Check out that... oh-so-chic bow.



And the back...





The slip was the only troublesome bit. Because I lengthened the dress I also had to do the same with the slip. The straps for the slip are attached in line with my armpit, so I was not sure how much to add to have the same effect as adding 5" to the dress. I ended up having to cut the slip quite a few times to have it fall above the hemline of the dress. But by trial and error, I was able to figure it out.


This is definitely a a sew again pattern, I have already begun to look for a suitable print. I may try it in a different fabric and eliminate the need for the slip altogether :)

 So until I write again, happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Very nice dress, great job and congratulations on completing your first Vogue pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Now you are going to be hooked and they always cost more than all the others even when on sale. Ask me, I know. Your dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure know what you're saying Faye...I think it only took one for me to be hooked. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I think yours is much more appealing and a more wearable length! I have Vogue phobia too- I'm trying to slowly change it to just 'Vogue designers phobia'.....nicely done. I want this patern now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...its a great pattern. You really should get it!

      Delete
  4. Oh so cute!! And...I love, love, love your choice of fabric! Nice work. I'd say you've conquered your fears in a most fashionable way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot and I really enjoyed sewing it :)

      Delete
  5. So Cute, it looks so light and airy for the beautiful weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this dress looks amazing on you. I want to make one now hehe!! I always lengthen vogue patterns too they are a bit short! Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours I love the fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete